This addition and related renovation doubles the size of the museum while re-orienting the main entry for increased visibility and accessibility. The 1916 original building designed by James Gamble Rogers continues to serve as gallery space and special event entry. The museum's Brushmark Restaurant opens onto a large terrace with panoramic views of the surrounding historic urban Overton Park. Thought to have been lost during earlier additions, the east façade of the Museum's original building was found intact during construction and is incorporated into the new two-story central rotunda.
Progressive Architecture Magazine Award
AIA Gulf States Award
AIA Memphis Award of Excellence
AIA Memphis Design of the Decade, 2000