Back to Projects

St. George's Episcopal Church

To preserve the natural beauty of the steep, wooded north half of the site, this 40,000 sf church occupies the open hilltop to the south, capturing distant views and summer breezes while enjoying the view into the grove of ancient cedar trees in the ravine to the north. The "garth," a serene open space serves as an outdoor room, is bordered by a covered ambulatory in the manner of a medieval cloister. The ambulatory directs attention to the garth and away from the outside world, reinforcing the idea of a unified community of faith. It offers opportunities for informal encounters and processions, and affords access to all the principal spaces of the church. The nave, a high vaulted space with exposed wood trusses, seats approximately 400 and offers glimpses into the wooded ravine. The vaulted parish hall includes an "inglenook" with a fireplace for small group gatherings and opens onto a terrace overlooking the north ravine. Opening off the ambulatory are offices, music ministry, meeting rooms and a child-care center.
Posted by Eli Cloud at 6:24 PM

1500 Union Avenue
Memphis, TN 38104

901-278-6868

Receive Our Event Invitations